1. Sponsor: Knovel Corporation 240 W. 37th St 2nd Floor New York, NY 10018
2. Eligibility: The Knovel Academic Challenge (the “Challenge”) is open and offered only to individuals worldwide who have reached the age of majority at the time of entry, except those individuals who are residents of Italy, Brazil, Quebec province, Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea, or Sudan. Employees of Sponsor and its parents, subsidiaries, affiliated companies and agents, and their immediate families or those living in the same household, are not eligible to enter or win a prize. Government officials are not eligible to enter or win a prize. Players of the Challenge, in addition to educators who submit questions to potentially be used in the Challenge, may be subject to rules imposed by their institution or employer relative to their participation in trade promotions and should check with their institution or employer for any relevant policies. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
3. Challenge Period: Players may participate in the Challenge between 12:00:00 a.m. Pacific Standard Time (“PST”) on Monday, September 28, 2015 and 11:59:59 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time (“PDT”) on Sunday, November 1, 2015 (“Challenge Period”). Sponsor’s server is the official clock for this Challenge.
4. How to Enter: To enter for a chance to win one of several prizes, a player must (i) visit www.kac.lughstudio.com during the Challenge Period, (ii) complete registration form by providing name, email address, password, institution, and student year if applicable, and (iii) participate in Challenge by providing answers to the problem(s) posed. To receive entry into the prize draws, a player must successfully complete ALL required fields on the registration form. By registering, a player confirms that all information provided on registration form is complete, accurate and not misleading. Limit one (1) registration per person and per unique email address. In case of multiple registrations received from any person or email address, only the first registration received from such person or email address will be considered. Internet access is required to participate in Challenge. All entries must be in English. Entries received in any other language shall not be considered. NO ALTERNATE MEANS OF ENTRY PERMITTED. All entries become the exclusive property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.
5. Rules of the Challenge: The Challenge, available at www.kac.lughstudio.com will be comprised of one or more multiple choice problem sets (each possibly with several questions within) per week during the Challenge Period. The problem(s) each week will be unique and randomized per registered user and available from 12:00:00 a.m. PST/PDT Monday to 11:59:59 p.m. PST/PDT Sunday. Player must successfully answer the visible question before any successive ones will be revealed. Progress is automatically saved after each attempt to answer a question, allowing player to log out and return later in the week. The week’s problem set shall be considered complete after all parts of the problem(s) have been answered, or the end of the weekly time window is reached, whichever occurs first. For each successfully completed weekly problem set, a player will receive (a) one (1) entry in the Grand Prize Draw, (b) one (1) entry in each Weekly Prize Draw during the Challenge Period, and (c) one (1) entry into the Challenge within the Challenge Draw. Proper submission of the entry form is required in order to be eligible for the weekly prize draws taking place during the Challenge Period, as well as both the Challenge within the Challenge and the Grand Prize Draw at the end of the Challenge Period. Certain systems and processes will be in place to ensure fair play. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any player or adjust any point totals that it deems to be in breach of these Official Rules or has acted in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner.
6. Challenge Point System: During the Challenge Period, players may earn points as follows: By Answering Questions: In attempting to answer a question, a player shall have three (3) chances to choose the correct answer. If the question is answered correctly before all possible multiple choice options have been chosen, then the player will be awarded points for the question as follows:
If the question is not correctly answered after three (3) attempts to answer, 0 points will be awarded.
This question contains four multiple choice answers. Choosing “a” on the first attempt will yield 4-0=4 points. Choosing any incorrect answer on the first attempt, followed by “a” on the second attempt will yield 4-1=3 points. Choosing two incorrect answers followed by “a” on the third attempt, will yield 4-3=1 point. Choosing three incorrect answers followed by “a” on the fourth attempt will yield 0 points. In the event that a player chooses the same incorrect answer more than once, an error message will appear informing the player of such. Please note a player will not be penalized more than once for choosing the same incorrect answer multiple times.
7. Question Submission Process & Reward System: Leading up to, and throughout the course of, the Challenge, educators can submit problems with the chance of one or more being used as official problem sets. To submit these problems, (i) visit www.kac.lughstudio.com, (ii) complete registration form by providing name, institution, title and email address, and (iii) upon being contacted by Knovel via email, reply with your Challenge problem(s) suggestions. By registering, educators confirm that all information provided on registration form is complete, accurate and not misleading. Internet access is required to submit these problems. All problems must be worded in English, and any problem received in any other language shall not be considered. NO ALTERNATE MEANS OF ENTRY PERMITTED. All problems become the exclusive property of Sponsor and will not be returned. The educators who submit the top three (3) problems will be awarded $300, $200, and $100, in accordance with their problem rankings (1st place will be awarded $300 Amazon or American Express Gift Card, 2nd place will be awarded $200 Amazon or American Express Gift Card, and 3rd place will be awarded $100 Amazon or American Express Gift Card – winners can choose between either). Neither Amazon nor American Express sponsor, endorse, administer, or are associated with this Challenge. If an educator submits more than one Challenge problem, he or she will only be considered for one of the three cash rewards based on the highest rated problem he or she submits. The winners will be selected by the Knovel Advisory Board, which is comprised of Knovel employees who possess professional engineering backgrounds, based on a balance between creativity and likelihood of provoking engagement with the Knovel platform. Your odds of winning depend on how well your potential Challenge questions compare with the others submitted pursuant to these criteria. The winners will be notified on or about November 2, 2015. In lieu of a cash prize, educators can opt to have their winnings donated to a charity or educational institute of their choosing by informing Knovel of their decision in writing within two (2) weeks of their notification. Knovel will then donate the winnings to these charities or educational institutes on the educators’ behalf, for which the educators will receive recognition.
8. Selection of Challenge Winners:
a. Weekly Prize Draw: For each week during the Challenge Period, one (1) winner will be selected in a weekly prize drawing from all eligible entries received by 11:59:59 p.m. PST/PDT Sunday of that calendar week. The weekly prize winner will be the individual with the greatest accumulation of points during that week of the Challenge Period. The weekly prize winner will be notified no later than the Friday following the respective weekly prize draw. In the case of a tie, the high scoring players will be chosen at random to receive the prize. All winners will be recognized on the Challenge site.
b. Grand Prize Draw: Two (2) grand prize winners will be selected from all eligible entries received during Challenge Period on or about Monday October 2, 2015. Of the two grand prize winners, the first place winner will be the individual with the greatest accumulation of points at the end of the Challenge Period. The second place winner will be the individual with the second greatest accumulation of points at the end of the Challenge Period. These winners will be notified on or about Friday November 6, 2015. In the case of a tie for either grand prize, the high scoring players will be chosen at random to receive the prize. All winners will be recognized on the Challenge site.
c. Challenge within the Challenge Prize Draw: For the Challenge within the Challenge Prize Draw, one (1) player with the greatest accumulation of points will be selected from each of up to ten (10) institutions with the highest scoring points. If fewer than ten institutions are engaged in the Challenge, the individual with the greatest accumulation of points from each institution will be selected. Up to ten (10) players will be notified on or about Friday November 6, 2015.
Winners of both the Challenge and prizes are not limited to individuals with access to a Knovel subscription. Your odds of winning the various prizes (except for those cash prizes awarded to educators who submit the top three potential Challenge problems, whose odds of winning are explained in Section 7 herein) depend on how many points you accumulate pursuant to the Challenge Point System in comparison to how many points other eligible players accumulate. A purchase does not improve chances of winning. Decisions of the Sponsor will be final and binding in all respects. All winners are subject to proving eligibility in order to receive prize winnings.
9. Notification of Winners: All winners and their respective institution librarians (or faculty if no librarian is registered) will be notified via the email address that was provided during registration. Once the librarian confirms eligibility and existence of the player, the winner may claim the prize by replying to the notification email within fourteen (14) days of notification, providing his or her mailing address if it is requested by Sponsor. Prizes will be awarded via postal or electronic mail to the mailing or e-mail address provided by winner within 6 to 8 weeks following confirmation. Non-compliance within that time period or failure to comply with any term or condition of these Official Rules may, at the sole discretion of Sponsor, result in a winner’s disqualification and the selection of an alternate winner from among remaining eligible entries. No cash in lieu of non-cash prizes. No substitution of prize, except that Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value in the event a prize or prize component becomes unavailable for any reason. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, misdirected mail or notification e-mail. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable will result in disqualification and an alternate winner will be selected by Sponsor. Winners may waive the right to receive the prize. Winners shall bear sole responsibility for fulfilling any tax obligations associated with receipt and/or use of prize. Winners may be required to sign a declaration of eligibility and liability/publicity release in order to claim the prize. The decisions of Sponsor shall be final and binding in all respects.
10. Prizes and Approximate Retail Values (“ARVs”) in U.S. Dollars:
a. Five (5) Weekly Draw Prizes: $100 Amazon.com gift card. ARV: $100 each
b. Two (2) Grand Prizes:
i. First Place: Apple® iPad® Air with Wi-Fi 16 GB. ARV: $500
ii.Second Place: Sonos:PLAY:1: $300
c. Ten (10) Challenge within the Challenge Prizes: $25 Amazon or AMEX gift cards. ARV: $25 each
d. Amazon or AMEX gift cards for questions submitted by educators
i. First Place: $300 Amazon or AMEX gift card
ii. Second Place: $200 Amazon or AMEX gift card
iii. Third Place: $100 Amazon or AMEX gift card
Total ARV of all prizes plus total value of cash rewards in this Challenge: $2150 discretion. Prizes must be taken as stated and no compensation will be payable if a winner is unable to use the prize as stated. Amazon and Amazon.com are registered trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc.; iPad is a registered trademark of Apple Inc.; Bose is a registered trademark of Bose Inc.; Chromecast is a registered trademark of Google Inc. None of these companies sponsor, endorse, administer, or are associated with this Challenge.
11. Consent to Use of Personal Information: Submission of Challenge entry or submission of potential Challenge problem constitutes player’s or educator’s consent for Sponsor to use player’s or educator’s email address for purposes of marketing and promotion of Sponsor’s products and services. By accepting the prize, the winners acknowledge compliance with these Official Rules and agree to permit Sponsor and its agents’ to use their name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions and/or hometown and country for promotional purposes in any media worldwide for any commercial, advertising, publicity or promotional purpose, without limitation, additional compensation or permission unless prohibited by law or the winner’s institution.
12. Release: By participating in the Challenge or by submitting potential Challenge problems, to the extent permissible by law, players and educators hereby release Sponsor from any and all claims, damages or liabilities arising from or relating to the acceptance of any prizes in connection with their participation in the Challenge or in connection with their submission of potential Challenge problems. Nothing in this clause shall act so as to exclude Sponsor’s liability for death or personal injury as a result of its negligence, Sponsor is not liable in the event that any portion of the Challenge (including without limitation the submission of potential Challenge problems) is cancelled due to weather, fire, strike, acts of war or terrorism, or any other condition beyond their control (a “Force Majeure Event”).
13. Limitations of Liability: Neither Sponsor, its parent, subsidiary or affiliated companies, shall have any obligation, liability or responsibility with regard to (i) Challenge entries or potential Challenge problems submitted by educators that contain incorrect or inaccurate information or do not comply with these Official Rules, (ii) Challenge entries, potential Challenge problems submitted by educators, prize claims or notifications that are lost, late, incomplete, illegible, unintelligible, damaged or otherwise not received by the intended recipient, in whole or in part, due to computer, technical or other error of any kind, (iii) telephone, electronic, hardware, software, network, Internet or computer malfunctions, failures or difficulties, (iv) any condition caused by events beyond the control of Sponsor that may cause the Challenge or submission of potential Challenge problems to be disrupted or delayed, or (v) any damages or losses of any kind caused by any prize or resulting from participation in the Challenge or from submission of potential Challenge problems, accessing, uploading or downloading data in connection with the Challenge (including without limitation the submission of potential Challenge problems), or acceptance, possession or use of any prize. Sponsor does not guarantee that the Challenge, including without limitation the submission of potential Challenge problems, will not contain IT faults, or that faults identified will be remedied; nor can they guarantee that Challenge, the submission of potential Challenge problems, and/or sites to which these operate do not contain viruses or other components which may cause damage to players’ or educators’ computer equipment and/or data. Sponsor does not guarantee continuous, uninterrupted or secure access to Challenge or to the submission of potential Challenge problems. Numerous factors outside of the control of Sponsor may interfere with the operation of Challenge or with the operation of receiving potential Challenge problems from educators. To the extent permissible by law, Sponsor excludes all implied warranties, conditions and other implied terms. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any player or educator tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Challenge website or otherwise violating these Official Rules. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, further reserves the right to shorten, defer, alter, cancel, terminate, suspend or modify the Challenge or the submission of potential Challenge problems (including without limitation the prizes offered) if the Challenge cannot be completed as planned due to a lack of eligible Challenge entries, a lack of potential Challenge problem submissions, multiple players who accumulate an identical number of highest points for any given prize draw or for the overall Challenge, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention or technical failures of any sort, and to select a winner from among eligible entries unaffected by such event, if any; it cannot be held liable for this on any grounds whatsoever. In the event that the Challenge is challenged by any legal or regulatory authority, Sponsor reserves the right to discontinue or modify the Challenge, or to disqualify participants residing in the affected geographic areas.
14. Governing Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the player, educator, and Sponsor in connection with the Challenge (including without limitation the submission of potential Challenge problems), shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the state of New York, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of New York or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than of New York.
16. Rules: By entering the Challenge or by submitting potential Challenge problems, players and educators agree to abide by the terms and conditions of these Official Rules, which are final on all matters pertaining to the Challenge (including without limitation the submission of problems to potentially be used in the Challenge), and warrants that they are eligible to participate in the Challenge or to submit potential Challenge problems.
17. Winners List: For the names of winners, please visit Sponsor’s website at www.kac.lughstudio.com or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 31, 2015.